Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A dissertation is just a really long blog entry, right?

I've been remarkably productive (for me) the last few days. All the same, I've started to notice ominous signs that I may be spending more time and effort on blogging than on my thesis:

  • I used to spend the time cycling from home to uni planning what I'd do on my thesis that day, and the time travelling home (over-)analysing what I should have done differently. Now I spend it composing imaginary blog posts.
  • I keep coming up with ideas for photos and images I could put in my thesis... if it were a website instead. I want to apply a pretty template!
  • My supervisor just pointed out that the section headings in my latest draft are 'amusing, but kind of random'.
  • And worst of all? Three times today LaTeX barfed when I tried to compile my files, thanks to me having typed in html commands by mistake.

6 Comments:

wolfa said...

If it makes you feel better, I've finally stopped composing imaginary blog posts all the time (only occasionally). So in about three years, you should be fine.

Why not have amusing-but-random headings? 'Wee, sleekit, cow'ring, tim'rous: social status of non-standard dialects'. It's just like a conference presentation title!

StyleyGeek said...

Unfortunately, Wolfa, that title sounds more lucid than most of what I've been using :)

shrinkykitten said...

This is one of your best posts. Hilarious! I am convinced we should all just be allowed to submit (edited versions of) our blogs in lieu of dissertations. I'm sure they're long enough!

StyleyGeek said...

Thanks shrinky!

And I agree. I'm terrified that one day I'll find out how to do a word count on my blog, and discover that I've written more here than on my dissertation.

wolfa said...

But all you need to do is add something relevant after a colon, and your random titles suddenly become relevant!

prassanna said...

Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting. I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.














Top Dissertation Sites