Saturday, August 19, 2006

Stage fright

My traffic for the last few days has spiked to about four times my usual daily average (thanks mostly to the mention on Inside Higher Education), and it has me paralysed like a possum in the headlights of impending popularity. (Don't you love how that simile makes me the cute fluffy animal and you guys the ones in the SUV? Way to alienate your readers, StyleyGeek.)

Now, it's fun having you extra people around (even if I casually insult you), and the promise of statistics, dear statistics (read: seeing how many people had nothing better to do while I was asleep than read blog carnivals) is an excellent incentive to get up in the mornings.

But it is also giving me performance anxiety. Because you are so much better and bigger than other readers I've had before, and I don't know what you could possibly see in me. Sometimes, you know, I worry that I might not give you as much pleasure, or last as long as other blogs you have known. I mean, of course I'm experienced and all, and... no, I'm not implying that you've been round the block or anything, but...

Maybe we could just cuddle up for a while and page through the archives? Until I'm feeling a little more comfortable with the whole situation?

If you loved me it wouldn't matter.


You do love me, right?

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoo-hoo! StyleyGeek is famous!

In your new-found fame, donna forget us old-timers. WE love you! WE recognize your brilliant wit and whacky sense of humor and laugh at you all the time...uh, I mean laugh *with* you...uh. yeah.

Unknown said...

Hey, your new readers are "better" than your old readers? Harumpf.

Rebecca said...

Yeah, bigger maybe - but not necessarily better. Or does size matter, after all? ;)

Lucy said...

Forget about the new people and just write for us. We love you :)

StyleyGeek said...

I didn't mean it. I'm not being unfaithful. You're better than any of them. Really.

And I'm trying to write for you. I just feel that while I have the ear of so many extra people, I should say something important. Except that I don't have anything important to say.

So it's back to pictures of hedgehogs and anecdotes about helicopters, I think.

Oh, and Turtlebella, not eckzackly 'famous'. Even with four times my usual traffic, I'm sure I still probably pull in fewer people than most of your blogs!