Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Styley gets kicked out of a pub

Suckiness is...

When you have two hours between a class that finishes at 5 pm and a choir practice that starts at 7 pm and you really need food, but don't have any on you.

So you join your friends who are going to the pub, and start looking forward to a nice hot pub meal, but when you get there, you find they don't start doing dinner until 6 pm and you are starving now.

So you survive until 6 pm on a large beer, which you are sipping very slowly to make it last, and when the clock hits six you go to the bar and order a meal.

And get IDed. (For ordering soup.)

And you hunt through your wallet, but all you have on you is an expired New Zealand driver's licence.*

You go back to your friends outside, and one of them reminds you that you dropped your university ID card loose into your bag on the way out of the office. So you return to the counter, but they won't accept a uni ID even though it has your photo and birthdate on it, and even though it agrees with your expired licence that you are nearly a decade older than the legal drinking age.

So you go back outside to finish your beer, soupless and hungry. Your friends look shocked and are considering walking out in protest.

"It's okay," you tell them. "They were nice about it. And kind of embarrassed. As long as I don't order anything else, I don't exactly think they are going to follow me outside and tell me to leave the premises."

And then you turn around. The barmaid has followed you outside and is telling you to leave the premises. She waits. Hands on hips.**

So you ask your friends to guard your drink and to order your food for you, while you rapidly cycle home, calculating that you can be back with your current driver's licence by 6:45, leaving just enough time to eat fast and get to choir.

[Cycle cycle cycle cycle cycle cycle cycle cycle cycle cycle]

You return to find your friends have staged a boycott of the bar in solidarity with you*** and buggered off home. Your soup is nowhere in sight (nor is the money you left with your friends to pay for it), your beer (which you had only drunk 1/4 of) has been taken away, and there's no one left to drink with anyway.

Suffice it to say that choir practice is not happening for me tonight. (I do, however, see chocolate in my future.)
_______

* I keep my driver's licence in my car. Which was at home. I've never needed it (or considered that I might need it) for ID purposes before.

** They were nice about the whole thing at first, though. (Until I asked if I could finish my beer before leaving. Then they got snarky.) And I don't blame them for IDing me. People often think I am younger than I am (although they usually pick me as being over 18, at least!). And once they have IDed someone who can't produce ID, they obviously can't serve them anything. But I think it was a bit much to kick me out entirely. If they had been raided by the police, I can't imagine the police could prosecute them for having a 26 year old on the premises without ID. The police would never have been able to prove that the bar staff had IDed me, and the bar staff would have been within their rights to say that they hadn't needed to ask for ID because I looked to be in my mid twenties.

*** I'm guessing here. Or maybe they all got IDed too. (Though, I'd like to see them try and ID the elderly monk who was with us.)

13 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very sucky. It's nice that people think you look youthful, but only up to a point!

A bus driver once asked me when the school holidays were. I told him I didn't know, as I was 27.

Unknown said...

Oh jeez - carded for soup! That's ridiculous!

How did you even keep it together? I get so emotional when I am hungry. No emotional reserves or something (boy, I really wonder why hunger makes one weepy!).

I'm glad you skipped choir rehearsal - and I hope you got really really good chocolate!

Arbitrista said...

Sounds like you need to arrange some revenge both on your friends and the pub.

Jenny said...

But... that stinks, I've never been ID'd for food, and I look my age so it'd be almost worth their while if they felt like kicking someone out. I guess it'd be flattering in an obscure sort of way though.

StyleyGeek said...

Grace -- that's kind of cute. Pat told me he once got IDed while buying cigarettes (for becky). He was 27 (and the legal age for smoking was 16).

Shrinky, I DIDN'T keep it together. That's how. I was so hungry that, when I got back the second time and my friends had left (and I had no more money for food), I ended up crying in the middle of the pub.

The barmaid felt sorry for me and offered me a free drink, but somehow I didn't feel like taking her up on it.

Publius -- I just don't understand what was with my friends. I said I was coming back. So either they misheard me, or something else happened. If they did leave out of solidarity, then that would be weird too, because they'd all just ordered food and had only just started their drinks.

Miss M -- maybe I should hang out with you and give them someone younger to pick on :) I wonder if I got picked because I was with a lot of people older than me (in their late 30s and upwards), so looked very young by comparison.

Anonymous said...

I donna understand...why card for soup and NOT the beer you were drinking. Of course, why card for soup AT ALL, really. This is very bizarre. Unless one has to be carded ("IDed" here in US, took me a good bit to figure out what IDed meant) to be in the pub AT ALL (we have whacky law in the state I live in where no one, and I mean no one including babies, is allowed in the "bar" part of a bar if under 21. Like a 6-month old might suddenly start ordering up drinks or something! Kids aren't allowed in liquor stores with their parents either. I've never understood this law, just plain dumb). I am very sorry such a traumatic experience was had just trying to get some dinner...hope the chocolate was very yummy.

Lucy said...

*hugs* That sucks.
Here, nobody without ID is allowed in a bottle shop, which I always forget until someone asks for ID and I never carry my passport, so on more than one occasion I've gone with friends while they buy something and then been told to leave when they went to pay for it. Because if they were buying it for me, and if I were underage, making me wait outside would make a big difference somehow...

USJogger said...

Styley,

The big problem is that you might be the police. If you were, and they caved and let you stay and finish your beer, you'd have them dead to rights. Once they've asked for your ID, they need to follow through, because you never know who is watching.

USJogger

Queen of West Procrastination said...

(Hugs) The most upset I ever get is when I need food and I can't get it. That's a hard day, Styley.

kermitthefrog said...

Ew. I hate the short intervals before choir practice, when you want something to tide you over, but not so much it makes you uncomfortably full when you sing. Add the annoyance of the carding and I'm with Publius on this one.

StyleyGeek said...

I guess US Jogger is right. I hadn't thought about that. But since I had gone back outside to where I couldn't be seen from the bar, you'd think they could have just assumed I'd left. I mean, you tell someone to leave, and they walk out the door. Can't you just make some assumptions?

And yes, you have to be over 18 to be on licenced premises here. Except that I'm pretty sure that's different if you are having a meal and are with people who are over the legal age. At least in NZ, people underage can eat, but not drink, on licenced premises when accompanied by adults. Otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to go to restaurants. So if that were the case, they could have just taken my beer away and let me have my soup.

StyleyGeek said...

Everyone's favourite W&P, unfortunately.

And now my friends are all boycotting it (I think this upset them even more than it did me and they seem to have no concept of the difficult position the bar staff were in once they had IDed me).

So it looks like drinks are going to be on campus from now on, where the beer is infinitely more horrible (but also a whole lot cheaper). (Downside: no food available at all).

It turned out that my friends had misheard me when I said I was "going home to fetch my licence because I was so hungry." They claim they heard "going home because I'm so angry" without the "fetching my licence" bit. Admittedly, I was a bit choked up, so might not have been entirely clear. So they cancelled their orders and left straight after I did (leaving their beers unfinished too -- what solidarity!).

StyleyGeek said...

I should also note that I got my dinner money back. When I'd said they should order while I was gone, my friends thought I meant they should order their food, i.e. not leave just because I was going. And they thought I was giving them money because it was my turn to pay for the shared order of chips and wedges that we always get. (Which it probably was, so at least I got out of that!)

But since they left instead, they just held onto my money until the next day.