Friday, August 11, 2006

Technology can't keep up with me

I don't know about you, but I almost never use the thing on my browser that you are meant to type URLs into. I'd say that at least 90% of the time, I use Google (for things I don't know I am looking for), links (for things that people tell me I should be looking for) or bookmarks (for things I obsessively stake out multiple times a day). I certainly can't think of a single instance in which it would be quicker and more convenient to type in a URL.

So how come the URL-typey-in-thing is located in the centre of the toolbar and takes up most of the space, while the Google search box (if you are using Firefox and even have one) is hidden off to the side all scrunched up?

Ideally, I want the Google box to be where the URL-putter-inner is and the URL-thingy itself can go hang.

Anyone want to design me a custom-made browser?

Update: I've been fiddling around with the toolbar options and it seems you can put the Google box on the left of the URL-thingy, but you can't change their relative sizes.

6 Comments:

Nicola said...

You can change their relative sizes on IE. Only now I've gone and done it and can't change it back, and all my links have gone. Grr. But you *can* do it.

StyleyGeek said...

Okay, I'm happier now that I know someone is using the url bar. I just didn't like the thought of it being entirely redundant.

And Jana, I'm sorry I screwed up your browser settings, but seriously, IE?!?

Unknown said...

I love the URL bar in safari because if you have a hunch as to the the name of a site - you can just type it in (like if you wanted to look up a site called "verkllempt") and it would try all permutations of it (www, http, .com, .org, etc) until it finds it for you. It rocks.

Nicola said...

(bangs head on table) Shrinkykitten, I've been using Safari for two years, and I didn't know that. Arrgh. But I do know it now. Thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

I often type in URL's. In Firefox, and IE, if you get partway through the URL, and you've been there before, it will guess where you want to go and give you some choices. That seems quicker than Googling the site. But, everyone is different, and you should be able to configure your browser to the way that you want it to work.

StyleyGeek said...

All right. So I'm strange.

I tried putting random words into the firefox URL slot to see what it did, and it seems to me that it returns what the google "I'm feeling lucky" result would be. Because it does take you to a page, but the URL of the site often doesn't have all (or any) of the words you typed in it.